Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Brief Life of Big Star (Little Biddy number one.)

My little boy Big Star, was the smallest of the cuddle. He was black and had a beautiful six pointed star on his chest. He was a good runner, but being so little, it was hard for him to find a teat to feed from. So, Biddy's best bud Asteroid, who was just a tiny bit bigger than him, teamed up with the cuddle boss, Chief, and made sure he got his time alone with mama. He began to grow for a while, but then one day he just stopped eating. His appetite was gone. He started to get really skinny. I guessed that possibly he had swallowed the little cap on the Hertz flea control bottle, a tiny cap just small enough to get lodged in his intestines. But I can't be sure. Then one night he started moaning. I made a little bed for him right nest to me in my bed, and brought Asteroid up to keep him company. I fell asleep that night, and when I woke up he had passed away. I miss Big Star. He was so loving and proud to be one of the brood. He looked to his older brothers and always was vying for their attention, showing off sometimes that he could get up on the bed by himself. Just a few weeks old he was. But I still miss him like crazy. And that beautiful white star on his chest, not of equal points, but elongated. A shape I had never seen before. I laid him to rest in my back yard underneath his favorite tree. I'll never be sure exactly why he died. But one lesson I learned, that just to be safe, keep those Hertz bottle caps wrapped in tape so they are not loos in the trash. Also, another possibility was that he swallowed one of those silicon capsules that come with prescription drugs. I had always just thrown them in the trash, but little puppies get into the trash, and eat anything and everything. Since then, I am careful to keep those silicon capsules in the bottles they came in instead of throwing them in the trash loose. I love you little biddy one. My Big Star. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment